View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
They make a 110v version for America.

That Niche grinder looks like it works well. I'm interested and if they are reliable then I might pick one up. Two thoughts though:

Why use wood? Coffee oils will stain any porous materials. Does anyone know if this has been a problem?
Cost maybe? Besides, someones 'stain' is another person's patina. A few on the home barista forum have oiled/sealed theirs. I personally just let it ride. I'm not running an operating room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
Why not grind directly into the portafilter? That stainless steel cup will retain some grinds, which will go stale pretty quickly. Is the amount retained so small that it doesn't make any difference even to the coffeegeeks? Do people wash the cup if it's going to be a couple hours between uses?
The cup retains neglible amouts of coffee. I have not washed mine since buying the niche in Feb LOL.

I tried *not* using the cup and had a friend 3D print a portafilter stand that was published on HB. It was just so-so. The size constraints of the machine restrict one to a bottomless PF if the stand is used. The other issue is static. When using the stand+bottomless PF, I needed to use a dosing ring so that the distance from the shute to the PF was minimal.

in short. I went back to the cup. It's a pretty easy workflow to get use to.

here's a few retention shots for those interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3888.jpg (80.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3889.jpg (81.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3890.jpg (50.1 KB, 156 views)