View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
I've been looking for a 'toy' for the past year and as with anything else I do way too much research which leads to months of going back and forth. I have a 15 VW Golf TDI that I purchased as new old stock in 2017 when VW got the green light to sell them and while it's super efficient and practical the 'fix' really made the car gutless. Came with a 168k mile warranty (thanks dieselgate!) and I just can't justify playing Russian roulette with a tune voiding that so this is a great reason to just buy a fun second car! Have always been a german car guy and the 986 Boxster has always been interesting due to the low cost of entry.

After doing months of research, talking to friends who have/still work for Porsche/know Porsche techs who I have talked to etc I have settled on looking for a 1997-1999 Boxster. Among the reasons below it fits what I'm looking for out of a weekend/fun car and gives me plenty of budget room for upkeep and any surprises. The S2000 was on my list but the asking prices are astronomical, and the Z3 just doesn't seem to be on the same playing field. I had a Miata years ago and it was neat to drive but very slow and I couldn't shake the 'old man' or 'girls car' tags so that's out as well. I've been very curious of owning a mid-engine vehicle so to the 986 we go...

Through the research and conversations I've had spanning these months it seems the IMS bearing issue as far as the 986 is concerned (I know the 996 had issues with it as well) is really in the 2000-2005 range. Between 97-99 Porsche used a dual row IMS bearing on the 2.5 which at least from my research/convos was far more reliable than the single row that replaced it from 00-05 (the problem children). The tech's I spoke with said they hadn't heard but a handful of the first gen 2.5 engines with the IMS issue and never personally saw any. This makes shopping limited to the less powerful 2.5 engine which I am ok with as the 97-99 model years can be had for a bargain. They have the reputation outside of the IMS bearing of really being pretty low upkeep and quite reliable all and all for what they are.

An 09+ 997 Cayman is what I hope to own down the road. Have read and heard of just great things all around.
2009 Caymans are great.
996 if they have the IMS bearing upgrade can be great
I have a 2004 Boxster S with the IMS upgrade and it has been great. Almost more fun to drive than my 87 911. I never really wanted a Boxster. I have always loved the first generation Cayman but the only way to be assured of non IMS or oil starvation issues is to get a 2009+
The failure rate for the first gen Cayman is very low but it is a very bad day if it does happen. I have seen two of them grenade at our local track, not due to IMS though, more so to oil starvation.