View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 AM

If competitive...or in the ball park re price.....I try to buy my tires from the local Lincoln/Ford dealership. Then if vehicle doesn't drive just right.....they get all the blame. The tire store can't blame the dealership alignment, and the dealership can't blame the tire store balancing job. Also do a 4 wheel alignment same time.

Also....and this is a big deal to me.....The Lincoln dealership has drivability equipment few tire stores have. When they get drivability complaints from those $90,000 Lincolns....they use road force tire balancing equipment. My Local Lincoln/Ford dealership has this balancing equipment (Hunter I believe), where a arm comes down on the tire with about 500 lbs force, and simulates conditions driving down the road. They know a tire balances slightly different unloaded on a balancing machine VS driving down the road at 60 MPH. Bet Audi, BMW, MB, Acura, Lexus, Infinity, Cadillac, etc all have similar equipment. Very expensive, but necessary if you are going to service those cars and customers.

Dealerships have a lot of overhead, and aren't overly profitable. They need those 100 point inspections to keep the service and repair bays full. Personally....I don't mind a dealership telling me I will probably need a brake job next oil change. And for that heads up....I will probably let them do the work. Even if the tire store is $100 cheaper.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.