View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
if you are at home, i agree pourover is superior to aeropress. for camping and travel, aeropress is the winner.

there is something so satisfying every morning about the routine and even meditative qualities of the pourover. and the cleanest cups possible result from this style of brewing. as mentioned above, a filter can absorb some oils, but the majority of this can be mitigated by simply pre wetting the filter, which also simultaneously warms your vessel. i no longer like the particulate matter from a french press in my coffee. i much prefer the clean cup and enhanced mouth feel of pourovers. aeropresses can make a lovely cup, but they can also make a pretty bad cup from time to time, and you (probably) have to add water.
I backpack and sleep out of my truck combined two months a year on average and make coffee with a pour over 100% of the time for my coffee after giving away my Aeropress. If I'm car camping I use a Hario plastic V60 ... cleanup is absurdly easy with the usage of a paper filter that gets dumped in the bucket or campfire after I make a cup. Cleanup is a splash of water in the plastic V60. With an Aeropress I have to clean the filter, the gasket, etc. The Aeropress required more work and water for me, which is a big deal in high desert and especially backpacking. When I'm backpacking I leave the Hario plastic V60 in the truck and switch to my Sea to Summit collapsible pour over (X-Brew Coffee Dripper).

That said, the friend I gave the Aeropress to brings it along camping & backpacking, so I see it in action every morning. It's not a complete hassle, but his cleaning process takes more time and effort. On top of it I prefer the coffee a pour over makes, so a no-brainer for me. But he's also perfectly content with the Aeropress, so I guess my point is .... use what you like?