View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 06:49 AM

Slightly strange cyber purchase on Tuesday.
I found a great deal on a previous year Giro Aeon Helmet--$149 minus $30= $119--from Nashbar--on Monday.

I got sidetracked, left it in my cart, tried to order on Tuesday and the price had gone up. I call Nashbar and an it turns out the extra thirty bucks off was part of a Memorial Day sale.
I tell her, truthfully, that I've been a Nashbar customer since they were hand writing labels, so she honors the 20 percent discoutn and I got this fine helmet cheap.
And something else.

The next morning Nashbar sends me another 20 percent off coupon in my email, good for 18 hours only.

I poke around their thin selection of tubular tires and find a nice deal on Continental Gatorskin Sprinters. $60 minus $12 = $48.
Not bad.
I poke around a little elsewhere and this price is hard to beat.
Except it's for the 23 mm version and I'd prefer the 25 mms.

I stumble onto a site called wiggle.com and find the 25mms for $46 each. No tax collected. Free shipping.

What I didn't realize initially is that I'm ordering these tires from England.
They'll take a few days longer to arrive, I guess, than if I got them from Ohio, but the price and selection of tubulars seemed to reflect the fact that it was purchased from a cycling crazed part of the world, a lot closer to Germany where they're made.

First time I've mail-ordered something otherwise available in the US from a European source strictly on price, but I don't think it'll be the last.

Nashbar did get me to buy tires. But not from them. One more source of disruption.

FWIW, Wiggle has also got Continental Comps for a mere $69 with free shipping. That's just a little more than half the US MSRP of $124, which would have been tempting if my local roads didn't resemble Cambodia.

http://www.wiggle.com/continental-co...r-tire/http://

Last edited by Avincent52; 05-31-2015 at 06:57 AM.