View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I want to add this: My 29 year old strong 'was' ridden hard and put away wet a gazillion time over its main steed 13yr tenure.

It has been frame save applied now on its third application in 20 years. The Powder coat is 9+ and BB and tread clean as a whistle. I did have a 7700 DA BB in it for a long while so was in there dusting and cleaning frequently enough that the orig BB is still here in a drawer. I'd install it again if I needed it, which I expect I never will.

Moral of that story is the rust proof nature of Ti and paint longevity issues have become myths for me with the workhorse Strong. I think it has about 55k miles on it. I stopped counting @ 45k.

Here is apic of a 20 year old reasonably kept well used steel Strong after it's last serious dusting and cleaning..
Thanks for the clarification. Beautiful bike. The reason I ask is that I have a credit toward a build with a flat mounts and clearance for 32c tires. I could go either way but would need to decide pretty soon. I’ve always been intrigued with Columbus Sprit tubing (especially the oversized) but I’m not thrilled with the idea of paint chipping when it comes to traveling with it.