View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayomatic View Post
I've never even seen an MXL in the flesh, so wouldn't know stock geometry if it bit my non-Euclidean rear! The Columbus sticker says MXL. I can try and show some pics of the lugs and TT.
I like the complete bike, parts and all, and would keep/ride it as-is (maybe some new tires and bar tape down the line).
The provenance is just a little icing on the cake...it wasn't Eddy but another Belgian racer.
First, Merckx MXLs are highly desirable, at least to those who highly desire them. I'd do almost anything for one, but alas it would have to be a custom geo (longer than stock Merckx TT). I finally found a custom SL/SP Merckx (built for a Belgian neo-pro). Bought the frameset with panto Cinelli stem, Campy headset, BB and seatpost for $600 plus shipping from France.

I think Fishbike's numbers are right on for standard tubing. Add $$ when it's just what you want, have been waiting years for, is the right size, etc

If the sticker says MXL than 99% sure it's an MXL, in general more desirable than a MAX Merckx. Are the parts top of the line, Dura Ace or Campy Chorus/Record, I assume 8 spd ? With your wanting to ride it as is I'd go as high as $2k if it's near mint, just what you want and ± a few hundred $ isn't going to put you into a painful place. If the seller is asking is the $3k neighborhood it may be hard to deal with him on realistic terms.

Edit: Just saw your pic, Campy Record with five pivot last gen Deltas, Shamals and a beautiful paintjob. If you have the means I don't think upping the ante is out of the question. Worth and worth-to-you are two very different things. If $3k gets it and you're OK with it, you couldn't duplicate it today for under $6k.

Last edited by donevwil; 05-15-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: update