View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
The issue is really what are we moving: people or cars? The infrastructure as-is says "cars" with the implication that cars move people. More recently, there has been a change to "move people" and sometimes that involves cars. The infrastructure isn't set up for sharing. Walking, using scooters, cycling, driving, and taking public transportation are all viable options, but traditional planning focuses on driving. The result is that arteries developed in the mid to late 20th Century are dangerous for the other options.

52 year old commuter. Not a kid. Also, not "close" to a pedestrian but sent one to the hospital.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/08...killed-in-nyc/
I think you are overstating the move to non car transportation. The US is a car centric nation. The infrastructure from 'bed room' communities to the highway system was put in place in the 50s and even tho it seems 'more' people are looking for other ways to get around rather than a car..the percentage is still really, really, REALLY small. PLUS, it's add-ons and band-aids to the above mentioned transportation infrastructure. Unless there is a fundamental change in the way people live, work and move around..it's just is not going to change much.

Perhaps if energy is scarce(NOT expensive, that makes little difference), but the resulting anarchy will be a much bigger problem..stock up on fuel and ammunition...$2.50 per gallon gas doesn't help....

I'd like to see a 'percentage of' gas tax, rather than decades old, flat amount..and use that to fix the above or at least make a dent in it.
Quote:
The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon
The US is BIG..so any comparison to any cycling centric/mass transit city or country in Europe is apples and oranges. I email with a guy who lives in western Netherlands and when he has to drive 100 KM, he views it as a YUGE cross country adventure..I almost drive that to nanny my grand kids...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-15-2019 at 11:41 AM.