View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 12:03 PM
Meh

Shimano 12 speed quality issues?

I was lucky enough to get very early access to Shimano's 12 speed XTR group when Shimano was having supply problems and it was very hard to get. It's the best mechanical shifting I've ever experienced - try shifting it under heavy load and you'll see what I mean.

However, I've had persistent quality issues with these parts, and have heard chatter from some mechanics on this, and now I'm wondering if something is up. Normally Shimano is rock solid, but my experience so far:

- One shifter pod warrantied after about 8 months of use when the downshift lever stopped shifting - no shop could fix it, blowing WD40 inside the shifter didn't address it
- The shifter issue just happened again yesterday to the replacement shifter at about the six month mark, and now my mountain bike currently can't downshift.
- One XT superboost hub that made intermittent, obnoxious grinding noises while pedaling straight from the factory. Swapping out for a different model hub with the same drivetrain removed the issue.
- One brand new XT rear derailleur on my wife's hardtail whose clutch seized up after 3 rides - fortunately this was serviceable.
- One 4 piston rear brake whose pistons completely ruptured and failed during a routine bleed and had to be warrantied.

Anecdotally, have heard of one local rider who has had 3 12 speed XT shifters warrantied with the same issue that I'm experiencing.

Anyone else?