View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 11:33 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Why I'm going back to rim brakes for road.....

moving this out of a classified discussion, per Josh's suggestion, wherein I was asked the above question and I responded:

1. I think discs are overkill for road riding and tires up to 32mm because:

2. As someone who switches around wheelsets, they are a PITA, unless you spend a bunch of time carefully shimming wheels so that each set works without having to realign the calipers, and even then ....

3. the noise, the grinding of road grit, the occasional sqawking, the inevitable pinging when the rotors get hot descending...

4. the additional complexity - bleeding, cable routing, careful how you position the bike when storing or transporting less gravity screws with the hydro fluid and you find yourself squeezing the levers to the bars and then having to (at best) stand there pumping the levers until pressure comes back...

5. the gargantuan, bulbous and to me, uncomfortable, hoods necessary to accomodate the hydraulic elements...

6. the necessarily overbuilt, overstiff forks to withstand the braking forces...

7. the added weight ....

8. most importantly I don't need them to stop and I'm a big rider at 215 +/- and have plenty of steep hills (note: the coated rims like HED Black are phenomenal)

Now despite this I will still have a couple as they are great if...

1. you want to use both 650b and 700c wheels on the same bike...

2. you need alot of clearance for really wide tires - so decent application for 'gravel bikes' and if you want....

3. you can mitigate some of the annoying characteristics by using mech discs like Paul's Klampers and the new Growtac (to be tested soon - we'll see) or even TRP Spyres.