View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 08:36 AM

Has Specialized achieved something really specialized in the Aethos?

This past week I have been complelled to think about the Aethos. I have not ridden one. But I am a bit taken by the Specialized propaganda machine. Specialized claims to have achieved two things in this bike, both extremely important to me; 1. great ride quality, and, 2. extremely low weight of 585 g for a size 56. Think about this. 585 g! For a disc brake bike.

The low weight can be verified. And I am hoping that there is no propaganda here. But the ride quality? I mean, people swoon over a Colnago, or a Crumpton. But who waxes poetic upon stradling one Aethos? Or maybe Specialized has indeed turned a leaf and is now in the company of bikes renowned for their ride quality?

Lastly, $5500 for a Aethos frameset is very high. If one were to spend something along these line, why not get something boutique? Crumpton, Pursuit, Argonaut, Bastion etc. come to mind. But wait, from there websites, it seems none of them can acheive a low weight of 585 g.

So, I ask again, has Specialized achieved something really specialized in the Aethos? Who here has ridden one and would care to wax poetic?

Last edited by nmrt; 03-29-2021 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typos