View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 07:33 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I worked on a Giant today and got a little help from a lady friend who was watching me repeatedly doing the back and forth trying to get the cable to come out of the bottom bracket in the right groove position (with trap-door in place). She walked over, said "let me try", and boom I think she got it on like the second go.
Anyway, helps to have help sometimes, and the Giant guide door thing under the bb can be left in place as you feed the cable in down through the downtube with the bike upright.
I think it also helps to tilt the bike left or right in order to steer the cable's trajectory, that's what she did.
One more thing is to use a new, straight cable with welded tip, since feeding in a used/cut cable doesn't usually go well.
So there I was.... replacing the cables and housing on a Madone. All was going well till I got to the TT cable stop for the brake. Bolt was stripped. Grrr

Got everything ready to fish thru the TT and BAM! went thru the first time perfectly.

Then I looked down and noticed I'd forgotten to put a ferrule on the housing and had to take the cable back out.

For a really brief moment I was tempted...

Took another 2 hours of cussing, hanging the bike by the front wheel, and fiddling about to get it thru the 2nd time.

All because the guy before me stripped that 2mm allen bolt holding the cable stop on. Being in a van, I don't have access to everything I had in a brick and mortar shop. That reminds me... The van needs to buy another drill.

Otherwise, the re-cabling went pretty smoothly overall.

M