View Single Post
Old 01-28-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
I just don't see TTs as being that much more dangerous than mass starts, especially not due to the TT bike. Also it's not like cycling hasn't been actively moving towards being safer, helmet requirements in the peloton, the supertuck ban, disc brakes, the weight limit all represent a (sometimes questionable) move towards greater safety. However, I'm not aware of data that shows that TT bikes are in fact more dangerous than road bikes.

One could argue that one of the biggest factors that make cycling dangerous is speed, with E=M*Vˆ2 and all that. So should we try to make cycling slower? Mandate a minimum tire rolling resistance and roll back aero regulations?

I do think organizers should be punished for dangerous courses. Last year's TdF had some prime examples of stupid decisions. Also agree about TT bikes introducing a big cost barrier, especially for amateur racing. I would fully support banning TT bikes from at least lower levels of racing (as is the case in collegiate cycling for example).

Finally, the brunt of deaths in cycling are not in competition. Your local politicians have the power to save a lot more lives than the UCI.
All good points, I'm just questioning how making riders use an entirely different bike that encourages a more risky riding position that you need to train to even maintain makes sense when they already have perfectly good bikes to use and the race would be exactly the same.

What is being gained? The stages take 2 minutes less to complete?