View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 11:15 AM

Well, I've owned a Fierte IT for 10 years. It has well over 10,000 miles on it just by me. And I am not the first owner - I think I'm the third. I can't tell any difference to the ride feel now from the first day I got it. Actually, it rides better - it has a different fork on it now. The first one was a bit of a noodle.

I also have a Merckx MXL that was built in 1994, so 25 years old. But I've only had it a year or so. It rides beautifully now, but have no idea what it rode like when new. Certainly has more gears now than when it was new.

One thing to be said for keeping a bike for a while is that it evolves to better suit you. At least for me, I'm always fine-tuning the ride, swapping out forks, saddles, bars, cranks, stems, wheels, tires, and other components, even just handlebar tape color or style. Sometimes it's because something new comes on the market or sometimes it's because a component fails or does not quite work as desired. I once had a Look 481 with a 25.0 seatpost. The original carbon one cracked and then came a Bontrager/Trek one and another one I can't remember. Then I got a Dura Ace post and the difference was stunning. The bike was solid and smooth and perfect with that one on there.

Last edited by tv_vt; 12-22-2019 at 11:25 AM.