View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 10:24 AM

Fork in the Road (gravel)

Im looking at building up a Soma Wolverine as a utilitarian adventure bike. I'm trying to keep the build cost down and triage my choices for best value.

I can get a Wolvy V3 for significantly less than a v4. The V4 comes with TA front and rear, 44mm headtube for tapered fork compatibility, no frame break for belt drive (which i am unlikely to ever use) and about 1 cm more stack height.

I really like the features of the V4 (especially the reduction in headset spacers) and TA but with the difference in funds I could get much nicer brakes or crank etc.

I could live with QR and more spacers. Some people claim that the older forks have a good deal of flex and the tapered plus TA should really stiffen up the front end.

Is TA really worth an extra $250?
Do I splurge for a crank from white industries for its versatility and mad sex appeal?
TRP Spyres vs Yokozuna cable-hydros.

Split the difference and get a v3 with a v4 TA fork? (Would be black frame with blue fork, blue in label may clash with blue fork)

I also considered BMC MCD but that would be more expensive yet and they are out of stock in my size.