View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 PM

Given that the old O rings may have deteriorated from either grit abrasion or swelling, I'd recommend measuring the diameter of the shaft where the O ring rides (ID), and the diameter of the groove which holds the O ring into the pedal (OD). Then check McMaster and/or your local hardware store(s) to find a reasonable match. If you don't own a vernier caliper, this might be a good excuse to buy one. They're infinitely handy to have around.

That said, I wouldn't stress overmuch about the quality of fitment, as long as the O ring can be glued into place on the pedal body and squeezes the spindle reasonably tight. Jobst Brandt has convinced me that no rotating bicycle seal is watertight - the O Ring serves only to keep the grit out of the bearings until you can pump more grease in to expel the water.

One thing I can offer from my experience in overhauling the Frogs - give the RTV as much time as possible to cure before injecting new grease. Otherwise you may find that the grease migrates into the rest of the pedal body.