View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 PM
In Velo Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
You might want to contact Branford (sp?) Bikes as well. The shop used to have plenty of Campy small bits.
"Used to." They're great, great guys and recommend them highly for all kinds of info, but their collection of older parts (8-speed era) is pretty much non-existent. The only thing they've been able to supply parts for are the G-springs and carriers for 8-speed Ergopower shifters. Even the conversion part for turning 8-speed shifters into 9-speed shifters they no longer carry - and they were famous back in the day for quickly doing conversions.

As for converting the hub... my understanding (after an identical quest) was that it is possible, but that pretty much the only way to do it was to find a '90s era Athena hub (with the '90s-era bell shape) that carries a freehub with a modern 9/10/11 spline pattern.

The reason is that Campy really only made 1 year of Record and Chorus hubs with the modern 9/10/11 freehub pattern; 1998. In 1999, they went to the next generation of bigger hubs with bigger axles (and also changed the pawls & springs) . But they continued to make Athena 9/10/11 hubs with a modern-style spline pattern but bored for a narrower axle, and one that carried the 8-speed era pawls & springs.

So: find an Athena 9/10/11 hub (bell-shaped) on Ebay, pull off the freehub and it should be able to slip onto your Record, Chorus, or Athena 8-speed hub axle.

I'll defer to Mark's post above, as well as anyone who has more info; at the end of the day, I decided that it was just too much hassle to convert 8-speed hubs, especially as cups & cones are increasingly hard to find and - without the right tools - very difficult to remove & replace.