View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I love my 10s Record! To me it's the best lever shape - I would love to have 11 or 12 cogs, but the lever shape just doesn't do it for me.
I've got 10spd Campagnolo on several bikes, and 11spd Campagnolo on one bike. Maybe my feelings are based on what I've become used to, but I actually prefer the operation and feel of the 10spd shifters. To be sure, the 11spd performs quite well, it just does it a little differently. To wit:

The 11spd shape has a larger, taller "dome" on the front, with a more gradual ramp between the body and the dome. This decreases the effective reach of the levers, and also means that when I drape the palms of my hands over the domes (dangling my fingers off the front of the levers), it forces me to cock my wrists at a more uncomfortable angle.

Rear shifting is less "snappy" with 11spd levers. On the 10spd levers, you only needed to push the lever a little over half-way to the next index point, and the mechanism "snaps" the index disk the rest of the way. This allows shifts to be done with less lever travel. With the 11spd levers, you have to move the lever all the way to the next index position before it clicks into place. The 10spd levers thus perform faster shifts. (Note: I understand why Campagnolo made this change - the "snappier" 10spd design wears out faster, whereas the slower 11spd design is more durable.)

Shifting to the small chainring can require two lever pushes with the 11spd levers - the first push drops to the derailleur to the "trim" position, and a 2nd push is required to drop the drailleur all the way to the inside position. With 10spd levers, a longer push may be needed to swing the derailleur, but shifting to either chainring can be done with a single push.

Were there an 11spd indexing disk could be retro-fitted to 10spd levers, I would use it.