View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 PM

I have a 10.5 iPad Pro and a new 11 iPad Pro, plus a Kindle Paperwhite. The Kindles have some nice attributes -- light weight, great readability, low cost. If you're just reading text the Paperwhite is pretty nice. The problem is that I have a number of birding books where illustrations are critical. I have art books with ... images of art. I have math, navigation, and physics books with equations that sometimes don't get reproduced accurately on a Kindle. Plus, when I'm carrying around a device, with a wireless-enabled iPad Pro, I have a great substitute for a notebook computer and a great device to surf on, to serve as a hotspot, or whatever else. If I'm on a long plane flight or whiling away an evening at a hotel, I can stream or play downloaded movies on the iPad and can keep a massive music library on the iPad and play high quality music via headphones, earbuds, or onboard speakers. I can even use it as an easy-too-read navigation screen when in a strange town. One device does it all.

Shortcomings of a current or very recent iPad Pro as an e-reader? Now that Apple gives you the option of filtering out blue wavelengths during an evening span that you choose, it takes out most of the problem of a computer screen keeping you up at night. The iPad doesn't have a crazy long battery life like a Kindle (but then it's having to do a lot more work), but I've taken it on a round trip Seattle to Paris flight and on a round trip Dallas to Tokyo and not run out of power. Mostly it's just crazy expensive and I think Apple is telling us that if we won't keep buying devices frequently they're going to price them proportionately higher. If they think that I am so submissive as to let them draft an autopay of their choice off my bank every year, they are sorely mistaken.

I tried the Kindle again a couple months ago but I'm sticking with the iPad. It's just the best solution. The gimmicks aren't needed, but I can read as well as travel or work with the iPad and get it all done, and in very high quality. And for those books that won't reproduce well on the Kindle, the iPad is a necessity.