View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 AM

A solvent like naptha (camp stove fuel) can only dissolve a limited amount of wax - 1 ounce by weight requires 6-7 ounces of solvent. Any less solvent will just be a mush. At temps in the mid 60's it will turn to a mush, but placing the dispensing bottle in some hot water returns it to a liquid in a couple of minutes.

Putting the lube in the microwave does nothing. The solvent is nonpolar and does not react like water or oils.

I've used this lube for about 5000 miles now and found no short comings. It's very clean, lasts for a reasonable number of miles and is easily reapplied.

Some users of hot wax never clean their chains. They just swish them in the wax and call it good. I think that's inadequate. I take the chain off every 3-4 weeks and use more naptha to clean the chain. Two rinses are needed to clean the chain thoroughly. I buy Crown brand for under $9 per gallon at Wal-Mart. That's a lot less than the typical price for mineral spirits.

I made up a big batch with a 4 ounce block of paraffin. It's going to last several years.