View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
yeah, the plumage is really confusing

I swear i'm a lot more confused after reading a birder guide than I did before...

very nice. have you birded both in Guam and the contiguous 48? Any particular photos you really like?

Most of the time the birds I see are quite "mundane", though I always love it when a cardinal comes around (especially when it's snowing).
Yes I have birded throughout NA and now on Guam, but birding on Guam is limited for reasons too complicated to explain here. In short, the unintended introduction of a non-native species of snake has severely impacted the bird populations here. Some endemic species driven to extinction. Some native species extirpated from the island but still found elsewhere in the Marianas. The Brown Noddy (with chick) and Golden White-Eye photos are from Saipan a few years ago.

One of the appealing things about birds to me, is that often I find the mundane birds actually quite interesting and beautiful once I take the time to observe them, especially through binoculars and appreciate their color and patterning.