View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The question is moot. All wire tension spoke wheels (regardless of whether the rim is carbon or aluminum) are so stiff vertically, that they make no meaningful difference in ride "harshness". Tires (width and pressure) make the biggest differences. Like above, the biggest difference in rims is their affect on the tire's inflated width.
Wire tension wheels are stiff vertically......from the hub up, where they are in tension. From the hub down, the spokes are under compression. Rim integrity matters there.

I'm going to assume we are talking about mountain bikes, so I'll base my statements on that thought. I had a rigid single speed that would not accept bigger than a 2.25 tire. With carbon rims (and tubes) that bike was downright spooky, particularly in rocky/rooty sections where cornering stability was needed. Okay, tubeless did improve things, but my other (steel) single speed was so much more palatable. I finally broke down and swapped the tubeless rims (only rims not tires) from one bike to the other and couldn't believe the difference in both bikes. I simply put those brand name carbon wheels aside for another situation.

That said, others here have offered tire suggestions. I agree, tubeless tires with enough volume will make a huge improvement in ride quality and rider confidence. My current go-to mountain bike is steel with a rigid carbon fork 1x10 drivetrain and 2.4/2.2 tubeless tires on carbon rims. My full suspension mountain bike has the same exact wheel/tire combination and hangs in the shop until the rides get long enough to require the extra comfort.

Last edited by tombtfslpk; 02-10-2019 at 06:39 PM.