View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
That's absolutely true. What's also true (and far more important) is that adaptation and recovery are not the same thing. "Recovered" generally means no longer feeling like crap and therefore able to go hard again.

The problem is that adaptation usually takes a bit longer than this. Ergo, simply making the crap feeling go away doesn't mean your body has actually had time to absorb the workload and make adaptations to be able to better handle that workload going forward.

The point is that these recovery tools don't do a thing to shorten the time it takes to actually improve from training - and if they make it easier to go hard again before the body has had time to supercompensate, then training is a waste of time, because at best you stay where you are and never improve.

What many never figure out is that it's a bit after you feel able to go hard again before you really should go hard again - if your goal is progress.
Just out of curiosity, how many hours a week, should an elite rider (1/pro) should be riding in a block of training in your mind? Obviously the type of riding would matter, and what types of intervals one is doing, but just in general? I've been out of the game for a while now, maybe guys are riding less, and adapting more?

When I was racing, I would do very roughly 15/20/25/30, and rest and reset, in the hardest block of training. Back then I didn't do any recovery methods, unless I was in a stage race, and these boots didn't exist, or I didn't know about them, anyways, I'm inclined to believe with what I know and experienced, that I would have been better off with the boots, then with out the boots, as I was. At the very least my quality of life would have been improved.

Last edited by ftf; 08-12-2018 at 02:25 PM.