View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
That's cool!
When you say 110/74, is it designed for a 2x set-up, such that the 110 is the large ring and the 74 is the small ring? And does the large ring mount to the inner or outer face of the spider?
From what I can tell from the photos, it appears that these spiders are designed to use Sugino's OX series Compact+ chainrings. If so, then the direct answer to your question is that both chainrings mount to the inner face of the spider, just like the middle and inner chainrings of a 110/74 triple. The outer chainring of Sugino's OX chainrings are similar to a 110/74 middle chainring. You could use an ordinary 110/74 middle chainring as an outer chainring on this spider, but 110/74 middle chainrings are typically only available in smaller sizes (34 - 38 teeth), so Sugino makes their OX chainrings in larger sizes (up to 52 teeth), and have added anti-chain-jam pins.

I had seen photos of the Engin spider before and was very interested in it, but I had heard that they were only available on complete bikes. If they are now available separately, I'll definitely be in line to get one.