View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 10:14 PM
ZhugeLiang

Come to think of it, there's a lot of going for me right now

I can't help but feel very contended and grateful these days considering what I have.

[x] Have all the time I need to ride

- having a supportive spouse and family and striking a balance between my responsibilities both at home and at work have allowed me ample time to ride during the weekend as well as during the week.

[x] My cycling fitness is currently at the best it had ever been

- losing 20+ pounds a few months ago sort of set everything in motion and was the impetus that lay the foundation to a much fitter and healthier me. No more back pain. I can pretty much do what I want on the bike these days, it's up to me how hard I want to push. No injury or accident, crash whatsoever, that's another extra bonus.

[x] Nice, smooth, safe, quiet, country, paved and gravel roads close by.

- where we currently lived put me right at the doorstep of some of the best riding roads in the state. Not just road riding but world-class gravels can be had within an hour or two drive away.

[x] road, gravel, mtb, travel, fat tire, around town, touring - all my bases are covered

- I like to have a dedicated bike for every occasion and after years of patient acquisition, I believed I have reached my goal.

[x] great cycling buddies

- I have a really nice group of cycling buddies that I ride with regularly and one or two that lived close by that I can call on anytime and we are compatible in terms of fitness and cycling philosophy. If I so choose, I can ride solo and I enjoy that too.

[x] having all necessary skills, parts and tools to overhaul, build bikes in my own garage

- I like the idea of self-sufficiency, that I can do everything I need or mostly what I need right here in my garage without having to go into the bike shop. And I enjoy wrenching as much as riding so this part is easy. Also, having the work space and the storage area afforded by a third car garage is really nice.

[x] achieving optimal fit on the bike

- I have to admit...this took years of honing, adjusting, experimenting, knowing, learning to get here and it's still an ongoing journey. But now, I can jump on a bike, any bike, and within a few pedal strokes be able to tell what needs to be adjusted to get to my optimal position without using a tape or look back at my notes. It's become second nature and highly tuned to the feedback of my own body

What about you?

Last edited by weisan; 07-14-2018 at 10:18 PM.