View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbk67 View Post
Great to see a range of Merckx frames in good shape resurfacing. I don't have the knowledge of Emerxil but did import Merckx frames in relatively small quantities for the New Zealand distributor in the 1980s and 1990s. I still have several catalogues from then. The italic font frame decals on this frame are type EM80, more or less the original type, and were replaced by type EM86 in 1986. Customers of the factory could and did continue with the EM80 style after 1986 if that was preferred, but a frame with EM86 decals will be c. 1986 or newer, or a respray. Standard specification in the early 1990s was aero K or flat N fork crown, wide or narrow S seat stays, braze-ons for gear levers, single bottle cage, front changer and external top tube cable eyelets, and single colour enamel without chrome. That said, numerous supplements were available. For the NZ market many frames had chain holder T, second bottle cage PB, photo finish (number boss) FF and wide 16mm seat stays, making this the "standard" spec. in that market at least.
FF does not indicate a "pro team" frame, only that the distributor ordered frames with that option. Name on frame was a factory option and available to anyone who wanted it and was prepared to wait.
Frame models in the late 1980s and early 90s included Strada, Corsa, Corsa Extra, Chrono and MX-Leader. Carbon Monocoque by Donnay was a short-lived "exclusive" model.
In the late 1980s the Criterium was also produced. It was listed as an SLX frame but unlike Strada, Corsa and Corsa Extra did not seem to have a top tube model name decal.
Oldest catalogue I have lists only the Professional road model and Professional track model. Probably dates to 1980 or soon after.
I doubt the catalogues are hard to find but if there's interest I'll post some photos, as tedious as that exercise is.
osbk67: Thank you very much! Confirmation of some information by the man from the "EMC business" is priceless
- The "italic font" was the only pattern until 1984, used in EM (Professional), some Pro, late 3-Athlete, Corsa, Strada and all repainted (in EMC) frames built with SL/SP and R531.
- EM86" is probably the font used in some Pro, then in all Corsa Extra, Citerium and other top EMC models (it appeared in 1985).
- Between 1984 and 1986, 2 other font designs were used.
- The specification of the early 1990s frames can be found in the 1992 catalogue.
- absolutely invaluable information concerns the specification of frames imported to New Zealand (thank you again).
- Similarly is with the information about Carbon Monocoque produced by Donnay (if this information can be found in the catalogue - definitely ask for photos of the whole catalogue
- Criterium had "its" stickers from the beginning (years of production 86-88)
- The "White" catalog is more like 1981.