View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
It depends on the bars. Some bars, the levers will sit higher than level with the bottom of the drops, some won't. And you need to be careful because the curve of the bar CAN affect the shifting. If the lever is rotated to low or high on the curve, that section can push too much into the back of the shifter body and put pressure on the internals. Both Campy and Shimano make mention of this in their install instructions.

My rule has been 5 degrees up from level. I have a tool I made that sets it that way. But some levers have longer blades. And again depending on the curve of the bar, you might not get the lever up that high.

I attached a pic of a bar where I could only go level with the bottom of the bar. A Campagnolo SR12 mechanical lever and Deda Superleggero carbon bar. I could only get it level, not the usual 5 degrees up I do. Also, I believe In level or 5 degrees up on the bottom of the bar from the ground.

I attached a pic of a SRAM Force 1x I did on a Zipp Service Course SL alloy bar. I could get that 5 degrees up from level though.

It just depends on the levers and bar in the end.
See this looks to be the opposite extreme to me. Reminds of of peoples Crit bikes set up to be in the drops for an hour.