View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Problem with citing that article is that it's not an apples to apples comparison with the AXS system, as the chain design, cog spacing, and dampered RD are all vastly different components than what was previously tested.

I don't know whether the switch from 11 to 10 on the smallest cog is going to make a big difference in terms of total efficiency, but I can tell you that the extra spacing between the chain and cogs will absolutely help in terms of everyday riding, as will the single tooth steps. And conversely friction facts just did a test recently which seemed to confirm that a clutch RD can be more efficient than a regular RD when designed correctly:
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/do-c...rain-friction/

What would be interesting to see is if AXS stayed with the traditional 11-28 cassette (but made it 12 speed) and chainring sizes if the efficiency would be higher. My guessing is that in a lab it would be, however you would be losing the extra single step which helps out cadence for the same overall range on the cassette, or if the previously observed efficiency losses between larger and smaller cogs/chainrings would be minimized or eliminated due to the redesigned chain and cassette.