View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a Red Sky out on the road in the last 5-6 years.

These were very intriguing when they were announced. I think all these years later it has become a bike targeted at us oldsters as people in their 20s especially now think rim brakes are hopelessly out of date.

Are people saying this particular bike has been around for a long time?

I used to go to RSC a lot, I don't think this exact bike is very old, I went on plenty of rides she was on or was leading and never saw it, and you never went on a ride she was on without a presentation at some point on whatever new Seven bike she had that day.

I would want to try one before buying not because of anything like the frame and fork but I'd just to try the brakes.

I kind of suspect if I do go back and buy one it would be an Evergreen though. When I was looking at getting a Seven I was very much in the "get another rim brake mode" but at this point 8 years later I'm much more of the mindset of some kind of all-around do everything bike with discs.

As mentioned in my earlier post, if I remember correctly the "Red Sky" line was launched in 2017/2018 (or maybe 2016/2017) and Patria's bike was the first built under that model name but Seven has been making mid-reach brake frames/bikes for a very long time.

My Seven Axiom SL Mid-Reach (pre-cursor to the RedSky) is a fantastic N=1 bike. It does many things well (road, light gravel, wet weather with fenders) and is exactly what I wanted as an urban apartment dweller (low maintenance rim brakes) who rides mostly on the road. It wears Conti 5000 32mm "almost" all of the time.

I think that even if I had more dedicated bikes (MTB, Gravel, Road Race, etc.) I would still have something like this wearing fenders all the time.

As for brakes, I have heard the Grand Cru are very nice but they are too industrial looking for me so I went with the TRP RG-957 which have been great. At some point I might upgrade the pads but the stock ones have been more than fine. They work as well as any 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace 10/11 speed brake calipers.

I purchased mine from RSC while living in the Boston area for a few years. I tried a Disc Evergreen which was really nice but seemed a bit "slower" than a road bike. I knew we would be moving back to NYC at some point and I would do more road riding so I got the Axiom SL Mid-Reach brake instead of an Evergreen. I was trying to fill a niche need: 1 bedroom apartment dweller (with my wife), low maintenance bike, N=1, mostly road riding, 32mm is perfect (though 35mm fit without fenders if I want).

Last edited by NYCfixie; 04-02-2024 at 09:58 AM.