View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Bike accident / assault

Got this from a group mailing to my club today

All:

Yesterday I had a car purposely cut in front me in Venice along the narrow road we ride on Sundays shortly before the Rose Cafe. Prior to cutting me off, I was going the 25 mph speed limit through a narrow area with a center tree median (undrivable) to my left and the park to my right. Shortly after passing the tree center median, there is a stop sign. The car that was behind me swerved around me when he could pass and cut in front of me about 10 feet before the stop sign driving me just short of running into the curb. There is no painted bike lane in this area as the road is so narrow.

After the stop sign, I continued on the right side and the driver cut me off again driving me towards the curb so I went to the center median, which after the last stop sign, is paved so I could ride on it. The driver then looked and me through his car window, flipped me off and yelled "funken bike rider" and I yelled back what is your problem. The driver then speed up and I speed up too going about 25 mph again, but staying in the center median planning on passing the driver at the upcoming stop sign where he should stop. But, rather than stopping at the stop sign, the driver, yelled something to me like "no passing" and cut about 30 feet before the stop sign from the southbound lane he was in through the center medium at a hard left turn crossing all the way over to the north bound traffic. As I was going 25 mph and he cut at the last second in front of me, I crashed into the hood of his car and went flying to the street.

The driver then jumped out of his car and started accusing me of running into him and was trying to draw a fight. Luckily, two bystanders witnessed the accident and quickly ran up to the drive and told him "if you want to get to the bike rider, you have to go through us first." They were truly heroic.

Attached is the video I took from my cell phone after the accident.

I was then transported to the hospital.

The driver has been booked (Santa Monica police incident #11-89776) for assault with a deadly weapon and is currently residing in county jail. This is a very similar case to the doctor who stopped in front of two cyclist in Brentwood and is now in prison. The difference is I went over the hood instead of the back windown. You will see via the attached youtube link this driver has no remorse or concern for me and instead is challenging everyone to a fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqjkAcLHtr8