View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 11:11 AM

I have been with Comcast for 16 years and am on my third modem. The first lasted 4 years and was supplied free of charge by Comcast as a sign-up bonus. When it "died", Comcast offered to rent me a new one at a monthly price that would have effectively paid for the modem in 2 years time. I bought the replacement myself and it ended up lasting 6 years before I started having performance issues. The latest one was also purchased outright and is still going strong after 6 years. I'm hoping to get a few more years use out of it but would not worry about replacing it if necessary (besides I still have modem No. 2 that still works, if sub optimally for the case in which my modem were to die unexpectedly)

HOWEVER!!!!! Comcast did add in an item charge onto my monthly statement a few years back for an equipment rental charge, which they claimed was for my personally-owned modem. This is apparently common practice with Comcast. They did refund the charge to me because I was sufficiently vigilant to catch it, but I would guess than many people would simply miss it amongst the many miscellaneous charges and taxes and fees that litter their account statements.