View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
That doesn't fix short spokes, just gives you wrench flats lower down (Sapim). I seriously do not recommend using the DT version that does have lower threading. They don't make the wheel any better since you will still not have threads in the head engaged. All the strength of the nipple is above the rim bed in the head.

I do not recommend the nipples below as a practice.
I did read a little about importance of engaging the head in some other threads-there is a LOT on "spoke length". Before I had thought it was all about engaging all the threads.

So I have the options
1. Wide body SON with 287mm spokes, which will be about 1mm too short based on Eric's estimate
2. Wide body SON with leftover 289mm spokes, which will be about 1mm too long based on Eric's estimate of the 287 being 1mm short
3. Non-wide body as originally intended with the 287 spokes I ordered. Using a spokecalc spreadsheet I had laying around on my computer the length came out to 286.6, same as prowheelbuilder spoke calc. So the 287 these should be good.

While the wheel strength of the narrower flange is a consideration, I have hundreds of miles on the this hub on the Dyad rim on the tandem without issue. I had not noticed any brake rub during the occasional sprint, even with relatively close pads of the mini-V brakes. It;s not like we are flailing the bike side-to-side. In fact, the rear hub on this bike has even narrower flange spacing, albeit with 40 spokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Marcielo pal, you better start cranking, the Golden State awaits you and your partner!
Will decide today for sure!