View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 07:18 PM

Why does the Real E-Motion rollers have alot more power than regular rollers? How is this possible?
The e-Motion rollers don't have more POWER; they have more RESISTANCE. That's due to the magnetic unit which is coupled to one of the rollers. Same resistance as is available on any mag trainer. A mag trainer uses the principle of Eddy Currents (NOTHING to do with Eddy Merckx!). Essentially, the faster the spinning mag unit, the greater the counter magnetic field is created, creating more resistance. While the resistance climbs considerably with speed, it doesn't increase anywhere near as much as the speed increases on regular rollers.

What is the advantage of having inertia on rollers to having none at all on rollers? You can coast a little to recover after hard intervals, to adjust your position; whatever you can think of. It feels more like riding down the road than with rollers without inertia. You could argue that regular rollers are BETTER in that respect because you CAN'T rest at all.

With the TT Rollers, what is the flywheel like inside that rear roller?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. The 17lb. flywheel is built into the rear roller, which is spun by the center roller. It is calibrated to feel natural for a 160lb. rider I believe, so the feeling will vary slightly for lighter/heavier riders, but it's remarkably like riding on the road.

I read that having no inertia on rollers impacts on the ability to pedal smoothly and spin dowbsvrry quickly after stoppage.. In some respects it's possible riding rollers without inertia may build a better cyclist because you have to pedal a rounder stroke to keep moving. Otherwise, your bike will do little surges and maybe scoot back and forth on the rear rollers. I suspect any benefit may be lost after a transition time back to the road, unless regular, season long sessions on the rollers are performed to keep the benefits; at least once a week. Riding with inertia is just like riding on the road; you'd almost laugh if you tried regular rollers then hopped on a pair with inertia, it's such a difference.

The one other benefit I forgot to mention previously is, the TruTrainers are designed to position your bike level. With regular rollers the rear wheel sits slightly lower than the front. The result is you're always riding uphill just a smidge. And I've found that results in a slightly uncomfortable feeling in the crotch while riding the drops. The homebrew solution is to re-tilt the saddle slightly down for all your off-season training, or just live with it and spend more time on the hoods or on the tops of the bars. With the TruTrainers, it's not an issue at all.