Thread: Broken hip :(
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
Well, I took a hard spill this week and fractured my hip. Sigh. I underwent full hip replacement surgery and I now have a titanium/ceramic replacement installed. Since I'm young (52) the doctors say I should recover quickly (walking within 2 weeks, back on the bike in 3 months).

Wondering if there is any wisdom to be shared from other forumites around recovery time, do's and don't's during healing, etc.

This sucks.
More to the point, I don't know what to respond to first. Just hang in there. Don't rush your recovery. Having broken my leg last year (tibial plateau fracture. I'll send you some really gross pictures, if you want to see them), I can tell you it's just going to suck for a while. There are many enlightening ways to fill the time it takes to recover.

I suffered a big financial loss, during the time I was not able to work. Being a single guy and ferociously independant, I'm glad I didn't have anyone else calling my shots. Although, you're bound to find out that everyone is a self proclaimed doctor, and will be advising you on how to live your life. God bless'm.

Edit: One year ago, I didn't know if I were ever able to walk normally again. Today, I can do everything I want to do. First and foremost, ride. Walk, run, hike...and everything else . The only thing I can't do is sit on my heels, like people do before yoga class when they're sitting around, talking. So if that's the worst of it, I think I'm doing ok.

One plate, six screws. Behold the miracle of modern medicine, and orthopedic surgery. Every day, I'm thankful to have two legs that work.

Last edited by YesNdeed; 04-09-2024 at 11:01 PM.