View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Spoonrobot, I'm very interested in really understanding what you are saying about the Fed regs and frame design. Was there a particular date/year when regs got more stringent? And do they apply to all bikes, such that the road bikes (especially metal in the CAAD or Allez or Emonda ALR modes) got heavier and stiffer? Or are there different regs for Spesh Diverge Elite and Spesh Allez Elite?
The testing standards were revised over a period of time from 2014-2015 and were fully implemented in bike design for those model years and right after. This was done to catch up to disc brakes - especially hydraulic - thru-axles, and a larger portion of drop-bar bikes designed to be ridden off-road. They apply to bikes based on their design intent, which is different for road/city/mtb.

The ISO/EN standards are not free or openly available, they cost 118CHF and are generally not something a hobbyist buys. People who work with them generally are not posting on forums (because it's a waste of time).

This isn't something I randomly started googling today to argue about it. I've been paying attention to this and researching for a while - ever since I found my production randonneuring bike had an almost 3 pound fork for some reason while the 2012 disc cross bike had a way nicer feeling fork that was more than a pound lighter.

Last edited by spoonrobot; 12-07-2022 at 06:45 PM.