View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 06:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Interesting video, didn't watch the whole thing but generally I agree with how he does things(not that I'm here to critique his video).

Interesting that the first 1/2 of the video is on lacing..when building a wheel, that thing that takes 5 minutes in a 60 minute wheelbuild..

BUT, for those who are brand new to wheelbuilding..and I was one in 1985. I went to a night school on bike wrenching, last 2, 4 hour sessions were wheelbuilding and we built our own wheel. So..yup, build your own wheel.

And yes, the first 60 minutes of my school was how to lace the wheel..

BUT, comparing to a built wheel for tension...I guess if you have a wheel that doesn't go out of true, and compare the one you built to that, tension wise...plucking and 'feel'....don't agree with that. Different spoke gauges, different rims, lacings, etc...hard to beat just getting a consumer level tension meter..The guy that taught me(Mike Jordan, Colley Ave Bike Shop, Norfolk, VA), used a Wheelsmith tension meter.

BUT, 'probably' adequate for your first wheel, 'just to see'..just squeezing, comparing and 'plucking'..which DOES measure tension even-ness, a way important variable.

BUT, nice video, thanks. Wheelbuilding is maybe one of the last 2, small 'a' artisan things left in 'bikes'. The other, a large 'A' gig, frame building.

The only other 2 gripes are his work bench WAY too clean and needs a Campagnolo spoken here, not a shimaNo sticker..