View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
So I'm have an itch to get another machine. I don't mind repairing/refurbishing if it is a good quality machine. That said I've always wondered about manual machines. Cool retro aesthetic, but having never worked one are they worth the little bit of extra work to pull a good shot? We don't steam a lot here, mostly just pull straight shots, sometimes add a little milk.

An inquiring mind would like to know.

W.

We have the upgraded “Professional” version and love it.
We bought it during our first vacation 20 years ago in Tuscany.
Works great and has been our only coffee maker until this spring when we got one of those built in Miele appliances as part of a kitchen remodeling project.
The Miele is fantastic and helps if you have folks over i.e. need to make more than 1 or 2 lattes or cappuccinos but I still use the La Pavoni a lot.
Just a great ritual to start the day...

Needs a $30 rebuild (seals and gaskets) every year or so but it’s easy and actually something I don’t mind doing.
There is literally nothing other than the heating element and the seals that can break, I am sure mine will outlive me and my wife.

Long story short, if you are a “mechanical” guy and don’t mind the little maintenance it requires, get one.
If you’re not in a hurry you can probably find one that needs new seals on CL relatively cheap.