View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Fine, I'll bite:

We use a chemex and chemex filters exclusively (tried others, found that they really do make a difference), and do pourover. We have a Bodum burr grinder with a hopper for a few days' worth of beans, and have it pre-set to just push a button for pot's worth at a time. The fresh-ground beans has been a game changer. We use a Hario pour over kettle, but admit to often pre-heating the water much more quickly in a cheapo electric kettle and then transferring to the one with the long, skinny spout. We should just get a Hario electric pourover kettle, but more crap etc etc....

For beans, we're kind of stuck on Grumpy espresso beans, Heartbreaker blend, which are a bit brighter, medium roast, Ethiopean/Columbian mix. Pretty much everyone we've made coffee for goes, "holy sh*t this is amazing."

Making pourover is a pain, for sure: watching, pouring, waiting, etc. But I've essentially stopped buying pre-made coffee in shops. The stuff we make at home is too good.

For camping, we have a Bialetti Moka, and just pre-grind a bunch of the same beans really fine. Tasty....

edit: our friends in Portland have this https://ratiocoffee.com/ and holy hell does it rock. the price tag is insane, but the coffee is just as good as our pourover, without the hassle. As an object, it's too space consuming for an NYC apartment, but if you have a big kitchen, it's a beautiful object. On the same trip, after visiting these dear friends, we hoofed it up to Seattle to visit family, and my brother and his wife make French press every day, which they're very proud of. We found it nearly undrinkable. Totally acidic. Yuck.

Last edited by VoyTirando; 10-10-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: adding a comment