View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Portland-er here myself - and have some thoughts - plus an offer to meet up for some in-person assessment - but it's late - so back atcha tomorrow...

Leaving this so I remember to come back to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaScottsy View Post
Thanks Clean39t!
Welcome to the forum. Dan, clean39t, can shed some light on chasing fit and test rides. When you have some free time, read a bit of this thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=209717
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Id take cleans offer. Not only you get to meet someone that enjoya the same hobby but the guy has ahadba bike or 2 ( lol ) and will definitely be able to help
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaScottsy View Post
This is my first post on the forum and I'd thought I'd introduce myself and propose a query or 4 to see what advice you experienced folks might offer. My name is Scott, I'm 34, grew up racing BMX and never owned a road bike until a few years ago when I bought a '78 Trek 510. I think it's a great bike, but I always knew putting any serious money into it would be an uphill battle.

As a 10 year old kid I would get Colorado Cyclist in the mail and was always intrigued by Litespeed's road offerings. When a "54cm" 1997 Litespeed Classic popped up on Craigslist I knew (from archived Litespeed catalogs) it was actually a 53 or a 55 and despite knowing 55 was probably a touch too big, I went for it. Cut to some two years later... I love my bike, but I just don't fit. I have a Thomson setback seatpost flipped, set(fast)forward style and my saddle rails are in maxed-out forward position. A good chunk of my commuting is in the rain and I really roll the dice sometimes with cars and wet rim(s) brakes.

I am in the market for a new bike. I commute to work 8 miles each way every day in Portland, OR. I like going fast, wet or dry, riding fire roads and eventually want to get into racing crits. I've been looking at 52cm 2016 T3 Discs (originally on Litespeed's site, then on Adrenaline). I know there's no such thing as a master of all trades but this one seems like it really checks all my boxes. I'm not rich and would probably have to finance for a complete build or just buy the frame and piece it out over time. My questions are:

1) Am I arrogant for discrediting the everyday-ability of modern carbon? (There are so many offerings)
2) I don't have a real parts bin, is piecing together a build not the most patience-molesting task... Should I just bite the bullet?
3) Am I sentimental/fixated on going for another Litespeed (I really do believe in their quality and value, relatively speaking)? What other bikes would you recommend?
4) Where else would you look for a groupset / part bundle?
Edit: my thoughts/opinions/experiences numbered to match your questions (to be taken with a grain of salt)

1. Every day ability of carbon is much better today than it was 2 or 3, or even 5-10 years ago. Technology has improved, and that shows with the offerings from the major manufacturers. I don't currently own a full carbon bike, but I've been looking more and more lately.

2. There will always be preferences here. Often times, for wet weather commuting my preference is disc brakes for exactly what you mentioned. Rim brakes and being able to stop safely. There are people I know who won't ever consider riding a bike with disc brakes unless its a mountain bike. Everyone will have preferences, go to shops and ride a variety of options. Cross bikes vs. gravel bikes vs. road vs. commuter oriented bikes. Geometries can vary greatly, but when you get on the bikes, you'll know if it works for you and if it doesnt. From the way you describe your current set up, your frameset is way too long for your body. A fit, and some additional information about height/riding preferences will help the gallery to point you in the right direction.

3. You aren't sentimental/fixated, but everyone has preferences and biases. I have always been a Cannondale fan, and been anti- other brands but its only been in recent years that I have expanded into others more deeply. Bias will exist, but there are tons of beautiful and wonderful riding bikes that are made from materials other than Titanium. I know this all too well. I own frames made from round steel, shaped steel, aluminum, alum+carbon, ti, and ti+carbon. Once you understand your fit preferences, you can get a greater appreciation for materials.

4. There's forums like this one, and the obvious eBay/Craigslist, as well as Facebook/pinkbike marketplaces. Take your time. Sometimes its easier to piece things together; often groups can be had for cheap as a lot. This is especially true if you don't NEED to have 11s (you may not) and are totally fine with less expensive and more readily available 9s or 10s gear. I personally own a bit of everything, after years of riding/working in shops/collecting stuff.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions, but seriously welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot; we've got a great community here and there are a number of people who will be willing to help you out. Also, the search function can extremely helpful.

Last edited by hollowgram5; 05-10-2018 at 09:41 AM.