View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 11:41 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Modern derailer cable housing ferrules are designed with a soft inner face intended to allow the wires to embed to a proper degree based on typical cut-off angles on each individual strand.
This helps the compressive forces to equalize between adjacent wires, so that the load is shared and the housing doesn't deform under load.

It is my belief that there is thus no benefit to smoothing the ends of derailer housing after cutting.

Use of any sort of grinding stone or disc introduces a torrent of flying abrasive material into the housing's liner, which would seem to be the opposite of offering any performance enhancement.

As well, the housing polymer that holds the structure together gets extremely hot, which has it's own implications wrt the housing itself and the air that one might be breathing near such work.

Brake cable housings otoh can benefit from "squaring-up" work, but which can be done simply with a carefully-considered second cut to the uneven end of the housing using a standard cable/housing cutter.

So my thesis here is that using a Dremel on cable housing ends is at best a waste of time.
This. I'll run my spiral wound brake housing on the bench grinder (cause I'm too lazy to break out the dremel to cut the stuff) to flatten the ends IF there's an angled cut AND it's in my garage.

In a shop? Clean it up and put it on the bike.

If I'm cutting derailleur housing or compressionless brake housing, I don't bother.

As with everything, people can overthink mechanicing...

M