View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Don't mean to argue, but crank based is different from single sided pedal or crankarm. Its because of straingauge placement.

Crankarm systems have the gauges in the spider, so they're measuring material flex there, and the spider "flexes" regardless of what pedal you push on. It measures both sides, but can't differentiate unless it uses math or an accelerometer on each crankarm. Quarq's dual sided measurement, fwiw, is voodoo because of this.

Stages is an example of a crankarm (or pedal) system. The gauges are measuring the material strain at a place where only one side "flexes" the material. There is an algorithm is the firmware that estimates the total power (its not as simple as 2x but not far off). When you pedal on your left pedal on your system, you're not straining the right axle shaft significantly. The algorithm is why Stages comes under such internet criticism, although in practice I'm fine with it, and I've had SRM's, pt's, Quarq's etc.

I'm beginning to think the answer is above-Garmin's don't speak Bluetooth, do Leyzne? If so, it may be that the answer. What sitzmark says. It only transmits ANT from the right to left, sure. ANT is high power and drains battery. BTLE is as its name says, low energy. The signal from right to left is Bluetooth. Headunit sees pedals independently as above.
Thanks for the additional info. Yes, Lezyne is both Bluetooth/Ant+. Still working on it. Sent message to Lezyne for some more input (pun intended). Frustrating, shouldn't be this big of a deal.