View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Helianthus annuus

I should be grading term papers (see occupation) but this is yet another opportunity to do something other than that (see occupation)

* real name, if you like dbrk, say dee-bee-arr-kay
* where do you live? Bristol, New York, the Finger Lakes....Hilly & Windy
* explanation of your handle contraction of my other real name given to me by the University at the near-beginning of the Internet (not the one invented by Al Gore, the other one)
* explanation of your avatar It's cold enough here in spring to be Belgium anytime of the year and I was born in July and lions just hate cold but I do love it here...go figrue
* age (general or specific) 47, I feel alternatively 27 and 97 depending on the day
* occupation college prof, yoga philosophy roadshow
* favorite bike Rivendell, Mariposa, Singer, Herse, Sachs, Cooper, Pegoretti, Hampsten, Serotta...depends on the day but always a 650B would be first out of the door if the house were burning down or something...knock anywhere because the whole house is wood...
* what's in your stable? newest addition: Mariposas, racer and 650B tandem, incoming Rivendell Saluki!! Wooohooo!!!!)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? well over 60mph coming done the Keene Valley road near Lake Placid, bike was a Rivendell, solid as a rock, never a worry...well, sort of...
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Will never own a computer on a bike so I'm not sure...many,many,never enough
* picture of yourself or your ride? scary pictures of how ugly I have become in my middle age from the Tour de FingerLakes...'still picture myself svelte and young in face, neither being true any longner
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What would I do with myself if I didn't have an obsession (not too strong a word) with bicycles? I love my work, it's my life; I love my wife and kids and dog, the requisite "family first" that we all know is true and could not be more cliche, especially in America, but what do _I_ love for selfish me? I love bikes, especially randonneuse and cyclotouristes of the French style and I think about them, well, all the time...
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told Same as Ray's, see above...only many, many more times than Ray has...
* and, something fun. Biked hundreds of miles in India on a Hero Roadster:fenders, lights, swept back bars, like an old Raleigh only waaay worse

d[ouglas]br[oo]k[s]
that's how it came about, I think...but yoga students sometimes call me "doz" as in the yoga world's version of Ozzy, the slightly stupified once talented star gone to seed...