View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
How was I vague? I explained it literally almost twice, and then again.

What can't you understand at this point?
Lets look at your description:
"I have found it best to back the limit screw out a ways, shift gently into the biggest cog, then kiss the derailer with the low limit screw, then back it out a quarter/half turn. Enough that the derailer can just "flex" a little past the shift, but not anywhere near enough to put it into the spokes."

A ways? Kiss the derailleur? Back out a quarter/half turn? All of those terms are very vague. Also, if a quarter turn is good, a half turn is way too much.

I'm not trying to be hard here, I want to hear if I am doing something wrong, So far, I have heard no solid instructions on what the problem really is and how to make sure not to repeat it.

I understand that setting the stops on derailleurs is important. I don't think I am setting them too tight. Setting them too loose can also cause lots of damage.

I set both the low and high stops on the rear derailleur to 1/4 turn from the point that it shifts. I shift by pulling the cable (or letting it go on the high stop) and tighten the stop until it doesn't shift anymore, then loosen 1/4 turn at a time until it JUST shifts, plus a 1/4 turn.
On the front derailleur, a 1/4 turn can be a too much adjustment. So I look at the travel of the front derailleur and adjust to that it is impossible to overshift past the big ring and not drop off the inside. Usually 2mm of extra room on the outside and a little less (roughly 1.5mm) in the inside of the little ring, as long as shifts are smooth.