View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 08:30 AM

the state of the union (citizenry) is always the state of the navy

I mean with respect to attitudes and bias. I entered in '88, left in 2016. We had gang-based cries, to include murder, at Camp Pendleton. Despite the best efforts of the military to break down what is there and replace it with esprit d corps, the baggage is often carried forward. However, I do feel there has been much progress (in my opinion). I am at heart a tolerant type; tend your own garden is my takeaway (figuratively, not literally) from Candide.
The the navy became more tolerant during my time,and although I heard some shipmates voice their disapproval and decry it as weaker, I don't see that as true and the vast majority I served with didn't either. There was a shocking amount of racism and misogyny still at the naval academy in 1988-89, and the off-color or frankly abhorrent remarks continued throughout my career, but over time I noted they were not nearly as open/public, certainly not as often, but instead became things overheard. It never ceased to amaze me how individuals felt comfortable referring to others with derogatory racist/sexist terms--particularity when advancement results, or selection for certain command leadership or collateral duty opportunities, were made. I can't imagine when I see the news clips of folks screaming at each other over race or orientation or whatever, that this is not now also reflected in the sailors and soldiers, but hopefully hammered down by peers and leadership as it occurs.