View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 06:11 PM

1) Winning my first local, non-USCF, race wearing lycra shorts, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. The favorite was wearing full racing kit, but I had the advantage of inexperience. Having read about racing, I determined that I would start to accelerate before the next-to-last corner, then just go as hard as I could. Much to my surprise, the favorite didn't or couldn't respond, and when I came around the final corner I completely silenced the crowd which was waiting to cheer the favorite. My only win until I entered a couple of masters events decades later, and won those for lack of competition.

2) A 200K "fun ride" of about 1000 people, which was not a race (these days it likely would be called a fondo). They did keep track of order of finish in various categories, and they also kept track of overall club results. I finished in 7.5 hours, having been pulled through the first 100K in 3 hours by three strong, young racers from my club. Though the second half took me a lot longer, I finished 7th among all women (about 200 total), and thus contributed valuable points for my club, which "won" the overall event. It was a good ride in itself, and really satisfying to contribute to the group result.

3) Several long-ish tours, including one solo across the state of Nebraska.