View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Helianthus annuus

There is a fine line between commitment and obsession and I am happy to say that I routinely violate it. A person of character and passionate involvement, as ol'Krsna reminds us in the Bhagavadgita, will look like a madman to most others. So I wouldn't worry too, too much about the madness of bicycles (though I am continually concerned about the madness of King George...uh, the most recent version). As a certifiable over the top kinda' bicycle obsessor, I could think of far worse ways to amuse myself (this being the usual rationale). So I don't struggle with the issues of perfection-seeking but rather enjoy them. I pare down occasionally and right now, for example, it would be hard to visit the basement and not think, "This guy is waaaaay over the top....". But I love what I love and all the issues of family and it's about the ride and the money can't let you turn what you love into something that makes you _less_ happy. The end of every life is a yard sale, I suppose, but I'm still planting trees in my yard that I want to enjoy before I'm gone.

Most of the bikes I keep at this point---you will forgive me if this sounds pretentious or sadly obsessed---I keep too as an act of stewardship. In other words, I think some of them are genuinely valuable examples of craft of the sport. My tastes run...well, you all know where my tastes run...but a great bike deserves a good home and eventually a next good home. I've restored Rene Herse found on curbsides destined for the dump and hope the next owner loves them as much as I do.

It's great to wonder, to doubt, to vent, to obsess, to pare down or acquire more, but it's best of all best to love be happy with what and who you love. Sure we have to create and know our priorities but the "oh my family, my family, my family..." as if they are in some competition with "my bikes, my bikes...", well, that's not often what's at stake, as I see it. Learning to live with ourselves, now that's what's more interesting about the issues here.

I vent, it's what I do too. Obsessively and with commitment. No problem.

dbrk

Last edited by dbrk; 02-10-2007 at 09:37 AM.