View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Assuming you have average proportions and are riding a stock size frame (that was designed for average proportions) I think you can figure this out with two seatposts and three stems

You can figure out your saddle height on your own. Raise it in 5mm increments until you feel your hips rocking and/or knee locking out when pedal at 6:00 then drop it 5mm.

Get a Zero set back and 25mm setback post and try various saddle setbacks in 1cm increments from 0-8cm. See what feels good for your knees and for your muscle engagement

Bar drop and reach...for a given frame there are usually three stem lengths within the most common fit window. EX: eTT 56.0 usually sold or ridden with 100-110-120
So buy some stems cheap off the classifieds. See where your hands naturally want to be on the hoods and there is your stem length. I have found that I have a pretty narrow bar drop range - like 2cm. Any less than 6cm drop and it feels too tall. More than 8cm drop is not an all day position for me. 7.5cm is about right for me. That was easy enough to figure out with some spacers.

It takes some time but I think you can get pretty close on your own. A lot has too do with your fitness and flexibility too. If you aren't loose or have a poor core, it seems like a waste of $300 to be fit for a body that isnt a good starting point for a professional fit. Just do it yourself, get fitter/stronger and then pay for a fit to get the last 10%.

Note all of this is mentioned with the idea of comfort but says nothing about how you are balanced on the bike. That balance is what takes a comfortable ride into feeling like you are molded into the bike. With a stock body and stock frame you might achieve both just adjusting for comfort.
Thanks for the suggestions! Do you recommend a specific order of dialing things in? I recently got a shorter stem and that seems to have made a big difference. I want to play around more with the set back next just with the post I currently have, but I was unsure if the order of things really mattered (I come from a technical background and this is essentially an optimization, but if you were to settle in one parameter then vary another, you are likely to be caught in a local minimum rather than a global minimum which would be if you could vary everything at once...I wasn't sure if there was a recommended order to avoid this).

I also got a trainer recently and figured it would be a good way to vary the fit and try things out quickly. Is getting the fit set on the trainer going to translate differently than on the road or should they essentially be the same?