View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
The chart is interesting. What “expert” came up with it? Really, CNN, The NY Times and WashingtonPost are at the center indicating minimal political bias?? snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
agree with above, the chart is tripe. The Economist has a clear bias. Slate? really? etc, etc..
It reads like you've both been taught the skill of critical thinking. That is a good thing!
I predicted the major complaint about the chart would be some sort of disagreement about which outlets are the closest to unbiased (whatever that is). Now that you've offered your commentary on the chart, would you agree or disagree that:
  • there is value in sharing a framework with others who might not have benefited from the same grounding in critical thought
  • the publications at the top center generally do invest more in telling a complete reporting of events, have writers/stringers located in multiple locations around the world, include long-form pieces, and balance their obvious (to us) bias with articles that present an opposing view
  • No two people will ever agree on every outlet on that list (and I certainly don't) but in general it's pretty accurate....and you've never seen anyone else go to the trouble of doing something like that, to try to bring objectivity to the issue (I certainly haven't tried)

It seems like most people will benefit more than less from a little guidance on how to think about the info presented to them. Call me out if I'm wrong.

PS: @Davist- tripe is fed to people who can't stomach something that will upset them. I can't imagine there's an English-literate human alive who could consume all those pubs without feeling some upset.