View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 08:31 AM

Is it even a minority? Drivers don't have to actually be malicious when you just have far more of them than you should. Once they are stuck in traffic they get more aggressive and frustrated and problems build.

Ignoring cycling and walking (which are problematic here) the issue we have here is you also can't really drive your car around town for 4-5 hours every day without it taking longer than it takes to bicycle and almost longer than it takes to walk.

And the issue is housing is unaffordable but jobs are here, so we have so many out of state NH residents who work here and other folks who live far away in MA that commute extreme distances to the office.

What that means for the town I live in is that there are 3x as many cars that come through than people who live in town. 14k people, and likely much less than 14k cars in town, but we have 50k out of town/state cars coming through every day.

At this point they are filling up neighborhoods as Waze directs them down ever more local roads since the highway is full and the main routes through town are full.

There is no way any traffic engineer can figure out a way to move even more cars through really. Realistically we need to start thinking about in-town tolls to try and incentivize drivers to sit in the highway traffic jam instead of making a traffic jam on residential roads.

The real solution would probably be to extend the current passenger train lines into NH where these people live, but trains are communist so NH has been blocking it for decades. (These lines used to function but got shut down cause cars are a Utopian solution)

I thought I heard NYC is talking about putting in a toll to go into Manhattan like London. Seems like a step in the right direction, but NYC probably needed it 30 years ago and lots of other places in the US need it now.

Last edited by benb; 04-19-2024 at 08:35 AM.