View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 PM

Velo Cult - a vision of what cycling retail could be

I had the opportunity to stop in the Velo Cult store in Portland this week.

The owner & all his employees relocated from San Diego to Portland this spring. Check out the shop blog to understand what a huge undertaking that was. (How many would sell off their coveted bike collection to fund a relocation?)

Beyond a great service area, lots of retail display space & a scattering of historic & noteworthy bikes on display (including a few Winter frames), there is a massive space for the cycling community to gather. There is a bandstand, a bar serving local beer & freshly brewed coffee and lots of tables. Downstairs has a theater & meeting area & another bar space. In addition, there is an amazing collection of mountain & road bikes on display.

In a city as bike crazy as PDX (there are 70 retail bike shops) there has never been a facility for clubs to hold meetings, for cycling nuts to gather before or after rides. And the value of such a venue never occurred to me til I spent a few hours there. It genius, I tell you! Incorporating the beer & coffee bar allows the owner to generate revenues not linked to purchasing bike parts or selling someone the latest bike. The free access to meeting space keeps a steady stream of like-minded folks moving through the building. It makes for a relaxed, convivial experience.

Having met some of the staff & the owner, there's something special about this shop & space. Its a great example of what an independent, small business can achieve. I hope they are around for a very long time. If you are in PDX, stop by & show them your support.